Saturday, January 28, 2012

Sheep Rug

Sheep, 2012
1/4" wool strips on linen
Private Collection

A goal for 2012 is to finish some of my many uncompleted projects. This rug was actually my second rug. I hooked the sheep and then found after completing 1/2 of the background, I didn't have enough brown wool to finish. My option was to undue some of the hooked background, add a mix of other brown wool, and then rehook and finish the background. It was discouraging to have to unhook what I had already completed, so it was rolled up and put in a closet. I decided to finish the rug in December. The swirly white lines in the background were hooked with temporary strips. When the background was complete, I removed the wool and rehooked the swirls (can you believe it?) with a little wider strip. I made sure that I pulled the strips a little higher, so the design would be clear.

No comments: