Saturday, December 9, 2017

Gift Decoration

Limb Slice with Bark

My husband cut some branch slices for me.  With a small acrylic painting and a hole drilled for hanging, I have a gift decoration or Christmas ornament.

Wednesday, August 16, 2017


A little accomplished on the new painting....just the beginning washes.  The rest of my painting time has been on house window trim.

Tuesday, August 8, 2017

New Painting

Stina, 12" x 19"

Started a new painting using a portrait that is a composite of two different photos.  The canvas was painted with gesso and two coats of gold acrylic paint before I used the grid to draw on the subject.

Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Dr. Seuss

“You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...”

Dr. Seuss, Oh, The Place You'll Go!

(Must be my day for inspirational quotes.....)

Make Your Mark


This is a quote from Blog Zentangle.

"Rick Writes:
 I often hear, “Go out and make your mark!” But people are so used to consuming what others create, they forget they can make their own marks.

Maria and I believe that life is an art form. We also believe that each person is an artist. However, most forget that creativity is easy, natural and fun.

Ask students in any 3rd grade class, "How many here are artists?" and every hand will reach for the sky. But ask them again in high school and rarely will a hand move.

As you take tests throughout years of schooling you learn there are predetermined right answers. Everything else is wrong. When you solve crossword or Sudoku puzzles, each has one predetermined solution. Even coloring books convey the subtle message that someone else is authorized to create the marks within which you must color.

When you do not use your creativity, it atrophies.

...You have an infinite reservoir of creativity.

...Life is an art form. You are an artist."

Go out and make your mark!! 

Sunday, July 23, 2017


Sam, 2017
Acrylic on canvas, 12" x 19"

This portrait is finished, except for my signature.  Working on this was fun, and it's somewhat  outside my personal style.  I have an idea for the next painting...just need another canvas.

Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Tea, Milk, and Honey Technique

Artist Network Article

There is an interesting article by water colorist Marc Taro Holmes about his technique, "Tea, milk and honey", on the Artist Network website .  He begins with a pencil sketch and works from light to dark. He begins painting with the "tea", a fluid wash that doesn't cover his sketch but adds a lot of color.  The second step is the "milk". He uses more paint and color in this step, but is careful to leave the lights.  The final step is the "honey".  Just as you would not add a lot of honey to a cup of tea, the darks added in this last step are done carefully.  As he says in the article, "a little goes a long way".

This is similar to the method I use, even working in acrylic.  However, I do try to establish some of my darks in the early steps, not saving them for last.  This is easier in acrylic, because I can always paint over an area if I change my mind.  I'm still working on the portrait of Sam, but you can see my steps.  I build up my image using paint and satin acrylic glazing liquid.  Glazing liquid gives you about a half hour working time (depending on humidity and the absorbancy of your base) which allows me to use a variety of techniques both additive or subtractive.  Because of the longer drying time, I can remove the glaze in some areas with paper towel or even move the paint around with my finger.  It allows for easier wet into wet blending of the acrylic.  The glazing liquid and paint have to be used thinly or it will remain tacky for a long time.  

For me, using acrylic paint and glazing liquid offers a safer alternative to solvent-based painting and it's easy soap and water clean-up. 

"Sam" in process, acrylic on canvas
12" x 19"