Sunday, March 24, 2019

The Color Lab


The Color Lab by Wanda Kerr is an incredible resource. I recommend it for your library. It discusses color temperature, saturation, value, color planning, etc.. It's a book I will use as a resource and will return to read over and over.
The information on value is of particular interest to me, not only for rug hooking, but also for all of my other media interests.  Wanda's information on value covers topics I've never even considered. For example, she asks if there's a part of the value scale you favor.  Do you hook in medium and dark values, in light and medium values, or do you favor the middle of the value scale?  I never looked at my art to determine where my value preferences lie.
Wanda suggests lab work for her topics as the best way to learn. One such exercise suggests using leftover strips and sorting them by value and using them to hook a value reference. I took this exercise beyond her suggestion.  I have way too many left over strips and sorted a huge pile as she instructs into values.

I checked the values using my camera phone.  The above photo I changed to gray to check the values. (You'll notice there are a lot of light and medium values.)


Now...what do I do with these? Create a rug design that demonstrates value?

No comments: