Saturday, December 1, 2012

Winter Night Rug


Winter Night Mat, 2012
Wool strips on linen backing, 10" x 9"
Private collection

I'm enrolled in Deanne Fitzpatrick's new online course, "Getting Wild with Style". This piece was created with a Van Gogh influence and my fascination with vast expanses and "big" skies. I love the color of snow on a moonlit night.  I might be standing in the darkened room in the farmhouse looking out the window.
The wool for the snow was dyed in a roll.  I sandwiched together different colors of wool, rolled them like a jelly roll, and tied it with string.  I put the roll in water in the dye pot with soap, put it on the stove, and let the colors bleed out of the pieces.  After a while, I added vinegar and the color reabsorbed.  I like the result, but I can't replicate it.

No comments: