Sunday, November 10, 2013

Humble Beginnings


Lighter Brown Background
Following Dot Ebi's formula listed in the previous blog, I dyed (using Cushing Dyes) this spot on rust colored wool that I purchased from Dorr Mill.  The formula used salt, which I had not done before.  I was pleased with the result, but I'll probably go back to my white vinegar mordant.
 Here is how the background looks once it's hooked. This is an exercise for me.  I am following a color plan for this rug by teacher Peggy Hannum that appeared in the McGown Newsletter of May 2001.  Peggy completed this mat in 2000.  As I posted before, I've never begun a rug with a color selection completely planned by another artist. I like these results, but I can't help wondering... what would this have looked like with a deep royal purple background?.... would the yellow of the flowers with the complementary purple color be more striking?... would the yellow-green in the leaves and stems pop?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How muh would u charge for a lighthouse painting? I am looking for a Christmas gift for someone that loves lighthouses but can't find a REAL paint. Saw your paintings and they are sooo realistic and beautiful. Please let me know if you can do a painting for me and the price.?

Anonymous said...

By the way u can Send me a message to my Facebook lily.rodriguez.5283166@facebook.com

Thank you and I will be waiting for your response about the lighthouse paint.

Lily

K Gaskin said...

Dear Anonymous,
Thanks for the compliment. It's wonderful to know that someone enjoys your work. I don't have any work at this time that would be available by Christmas. Sorry.