Rug Hooking Daily is a website created by Heidi Wulfraat as a place for "learning and sharing" for fiber artists. She posed a question on May 22 asking rug hookers to share ideas that give "inspiration and guidance in the design process". To start off the discussion she posted this idea and I love it:
"The lovely Laura Kemshall taught me this tool to select a colour palette. It's a wonderful process that can divert you from habitual colour choices.
1. Select a photograph that particularly speaks to you in terms of colour.
2. Print the photo and cut it into one inch squares.
3. Group the squares in colour families with as much specificity as you can.
4. Define, within reason, the percentage of each colour.
5. Use these colours in their percentages, as the palette for your next rug." Heidi Wulfraat
Now to find THE photo.