Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Frog with a Worm


"Frog with a Worm", 2008
Prismacolor colored pencil on Stonehenge paper, 9 1/2" x 8"

This piece is from a photo in a children's nature magazine. It is not my photo and the piece could not be sold as an original work. I publish it on this blog only as an example of my practice and my learning progress. The frog had so much character and the picture was so humorous, I could not help but draw it. I simplified the background in the drawing so the entire focus would be on the frog and his meal.
I began with a very light pencil drawing, then lightened that drawing using a kneaded eraser. The image was created with many light layers of Prismacolor colored pencil in tiny circular strokes. The final bright highlights were done with small dabs of gouache.

No comments: