Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Watercolor and Colored Pencil


"Reflection", 2007
Watercolor, tissue paper, Prismacolor pencil on watercolor paper, 9" x 11 3/4"

In a demonstration lesson in Janie Gildow's Colored Pencil Explorations, artist Allan Servoss arranged pieces of rice paper on an unwanted painting to create a new surface for water color and pencil. This is my interpretaion of that lesson.
The photo reference was a picture I took in the fall along a favorite hiking trail. The sun was setting and the overhead trees were reflected in the water beside the path. Using gesso, I adhered torn tissue paper to a piece of Strathmore 130 lb. watercolor paper. Using a limited palette I did a very loose water color painting then added detail and shape to the leaves and branches with Prismacolor pencils. The resulting work was looser and more abstract than my other pieces.

No comments: