Friday, March 28, 2014

Blots, Drips, and Splots

I've just read Margaret Peot's Inkblot.  She states that we can stimulate our creativity through "cultivating playfulness" on a regular basis.  This "training" will help us to use both our right brain (intuitive, thoughtful, and subjective) and  our left brain (logical, analytical, and objective) together. She suggests that using randomly made folded ink spots, blown ink, and poured ink, we can train ourselves to analyze and see creatively.  Margaret recommends that a person make many ink spots, look at them, and draw what you see.
The process is not as easy as I thought. I need to practice.  I, also, used too much ink to begin with - I think slightly diluted ink would work better for me. Here's the first one:
India ink blot, March 2014
Strathmore sketch paper, Prismacolor colored pencil,  6" x 9"

.....and another:
Blown colored ink blot, March 2014
Strathmore sketch paper, Prismacolor colored pencil, 7 1/2" x 8"

Margaret tells about "the master of blown-ink technique", Stefan G. Bucher, and I love his creatures in the book 100 Days of Monsters which I will be reading.  Going to check out 344 Questions, too. His website is Daily Monster.  

Let's see if I can stre-e-e-e-e-t-c-h my imagination........



No comments: