Friday, October 28, 2016

Rockefeller Rug

Permissions

Because this rug design was inspired by the Rockefeller Quilt that appeared in The Mountain Artisans Quilting Book by Alfred Allan Lewis, it was necessary to receive the permission of the author to use the image.  I began with Mcmillan Publishers, was sent to Simon & Schuster, Inc, and ended with Curtis Brown, Ltd. who kindly forwarded my request to Mr. Lewis.  He granted me a one-time permission to use the motifs from the quilt, provided I make no monetary profit from the endeavor and wherever the rug appears the author will be credited.
I, also, wanted to get permission from the quilt designer, Dorothy Weatherford, but after some searching I found an article from the Charleston Gazette that stated she had passed away on December 5, 2013.
The original quilt was made by The Mountain Artisans co-op and given to Mrs. Sharon Percy Rockefeller as a gift at the birth of her first child.  After communicating through several directors and assistants, Mrs. Rockefeller also granted permission.
So, I have moved forward and created the design.


Here is a portion of the pattern.

No comments: